Information to All Pickleball Players in the Virginia Commonwealth Games held at Boonsboro Country Club, 1709 BCC Dr, Lynchburg, VA
(434) 384-2111 July 25-27, 2014
We welcome you to the 25th Anniversary of the Virginia Commonwealth Games and the ﬁrst ever Pickleball Tournament for our State.
It is with great joy and excitement that we also welcome you to Lynchburg, Virginia, our beautiful city located at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. and the beautiful facility at the Boonsboro Country Club, our host for this tournament.
We hope you will enjoy your visit and the wonderful competition, as well as make lots of new friends and maybe even catch up with some old friends. We want you to have a great time and do your best in the spirit of good sportsmanship and competition.
Here are some of the details concerning the Tournament that we feel will be beneﬁcial for you to know before you arrive.
Registration is your ﬁrst step when you arrive and the check-in table will be located outside the main doors to the tennis facility, unless otherwise noted. Each player will receive a very nice welcome bag, packed full with special gifts just for you. You will receive a name tag that should be worn at all times except during play.
Just inside the Center you will be given the choice of going upstairs or downstairs. On the lower level, are the restroom and locker room facilities and the courts. During the tournament, no one is allowed on the courts unless they are playing or are one of the Referees. There are practice times posted, please make note of those times.
The upper level, or Mezzanine of the Tennis Center, is the viewing area for the courts. It is where the bracket board is set up and where all announcements will be made and games posted. There is also a
concession area where you can purchase fruit, power bars, soft drinks, water and other snack foods.
Next to the registration table, there is a Pickleball sales table, with T-shirts, Paddles, Decals and a few other items you may want to purchase.
If you are interested in the lunch or dinner on Saturday, July 26, at the Club, but did not make your reservation and pay at the time when you registered on- line, you can still enjoy a wonderful meal just by letting me know by Wednesday, July 23. Email me personally and let me know how many and which meal(s), email@example.com. You can then pay at the Registration table when you check it, we will have it noted that you reserved a meal. We do not accept credit cards, so please try and bring cash or checks as a last resort. Lunch buffet is $10 and the Dinner Cook Out is $15 and there will be plenty of great food freshly prepared on site by the Chef!
Also if you did not order a Pickleball t-shirt at registration, they will be available to purchase also along with some special tournament decals, custom paddles and much more.
We will have a rafﬂe for 2 custom souvenir Pickleball paddles just for the Commonwealth Games. You can purchase a $5 ticket at the registration table.
Below is a list of the updated Brackets. We had to do some minor adjustments based on the number of players by age in the different divisions.
Women’s Singles 40 +; Men’s Singles 59 & Under; Men’s Singles 60 +
Women’s Doubles 61 & Under; Women’s Doubles 62 +
Men’s Doubles 52 & Under; Men’s Doubles 53-59; Men’s Doubles 60-69
Men’s Doubles 70 +; Mixed Doubles 49 & Under; Mixed Doubles 50-56
Mixed Doubles 57-60; Mixed Doubles 61-66; Mixed Doubles 67 +
THE PLAY SCHEDULE:
– Friday, July 25, begins at 1:00pm to completion, singles bracket for all ages men and women
– Saturday, July 26, beginning at 9:00am, men’s doubles, 52 and under and women’s doubles 61 and under.
– Saturday, July 26, beginning at approximately 11:00am, men’s double 53-59; and women’s doubles 62+
-Saturday, July 26, beginning at approximately 1:00pm, men’s doubles ages 60-69 and 70+
– Sunday, July 27, beginning at 9:00am, mixed doubles 49 and under
– Sunday, July 27, beginning at approximately 11:00am, mixed doubles 50-56 and mixed doubles 57-60
– Sunday, July 27, beginning at 1:00pm, mixed doubles 61-66 and mixed doubles 67+
GUIDELINES FOR THE TOURNAMENT:
– This is a Double Elimination tournament and we will play each Bracket until completion and then award medals following each completion. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded for each division. Special note for medal winners: this Tournament qualiﬁes you for the National Games, held in Lincoln, Nebraska in July 2015.
– Because our State Games are open to players from other States, should players from those States win in any of the top 3 positions, Virginia players, who ﬁnish in the next 3 positions will also medal and be eligible for the National Games.
ABOUT THE COURTS AND PLAY DETAILS:
– We will be playing with the Juggs lime-colored indoor balls, they seem to bounce the best on the surface at the Club and are highly visible and durable. There will be 2 balls at each court to use for warm up and the game ball.
– There is water and cups on each court.
– There will be a volunteer referee at each court who will have a clip board and score sheet and will tend to the following:
– Coin toss to determine who serves ﬁrst. Since we are not affected by weather conditions, we will not change sides during the games until the ﬁnal medal matches. However, the team that wins the coin toss will choose whether they want to serve ﬁrst or choose which side they want to play on for their match.
– Verify the score as the team calls it out.
– Watch for, and call, foot faults, violations at the kitchen line and service order. Each ﬁrst server on each team will be given a band to wear to indicate “ﬁrst server”. Bands are to be returned to referee at the end of the match.
– Remember all ball line calls are made by the players. If there is a questionable call, the players can ask the referee if he/she saw the play but if they did not, the call must be made by the team, no replays.
– The winning team will initial the score sheet at the end of the match. The referee will be the one to report the scores to the scoring and bracket committee.
– Each match will consist of one game to 15 points. The ﬁnal medal match will be the best 2 out of 3 games to 11 pts. with a deciding game to 15 points if needed.
– All games must be won by 2 points.
Special note about play: We want to keep all courts active with games throughout the tournament and will do our best to make this happen. We ask that each player cooperate by staying “on deck” in the Mezzanine area when their Bracket is playing. Plan to be ready for the next available court and we will use the speaker system to call you “on deck.”
Friday evening, after the singles competition, the courts will be open until 6:00pm for practice. The courts will also open at 8:00am on Saturday and Sunday mornings for warm-up. There will be a 3-minute warm-up time before each match.
ABOUT THE FACILITY AND THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW.
We are very blessed to be able to host the Commonwealth Games Pickleball Tournament in the beautiful indoor Tennis Center at the Boonsboro Country Club. It is climate controlled for our comfort and the weather will not affect our play what so ever. The indoor court surface has a very gentle cushion feel so it is great for your legs and feet and overall fatigue issues are reduced.
There is plenty of seating on the Mezzanine, no need to bring your own chairs. The Mezzanine is located up one level from the courts and centered between the courts, giving you a great visual to see all the games. Please note that no spectators are allowed on the courts during the matches.
FOOD AND REFRESHMENTS:
Aside from the concession stand on the Mezzanine, there is a very nice Snack Shop within a short walk on the grounds at the Country Club. They sell sandwiches and other items for your pleasure. It is cash sales only.
The Saturday lunch and dinner buffet/cookout will be under the porch at the Tennis Center. Lunch is between 11:30am and 1:30pm and dinner starts at 5;30pm. There are no scheduled meals for Sunday, however, he snack shop is open from 9:00am to 8:00pm.
You are also welcome to bring in your own snacks and food, however no alcoholic beverages will be sold at the concession booth or consumed at the Tennis Center. This is a family friendly tournament and also a non-smoking environment.
The Games are open to the public and there is no admission fee.